06 April 2023
Reading time: 6 minutes
Hotel bathrooms are often designed to be luxurious and comfortable, with high quality finishes and fixtures. By incorporating these features into a commercial washroom design, an architect can create a space that is attractive to users and enhances their overall experience.
Although Dolphin Solutions’ core focus is to provide washroom solutions to the commercial industry, we also have a number of hospitality washroom projects in our portfolio. Therefore, we understand that planning a hotel-style design in a commercial washroom requires careful planning and attention to detail by architects to create a luxurious and functional space that fulfills the needs of businesses while ensuring their employees’ needs are understood and cared for.
In this article, we will explore the essential elements of hotel-style design in a commercial washroom and offer tips for creating a space that is both stylish and practical.
Best practices of commercial washroom design
Before getting into the details of hotel-style design in a commercial washroom, it is essential to consider commercial washroom basics first.
- The washroom layout should be functional, and the fixtures should be durable and easy to maintain.
- When selecting special coatings and materials for the walls, floors, vanity tops, and quality washroom products, consider their durability and ease of cleaning.
- The washroom should be well lit, and ventilation should be adequate to prevent odours and dampness.
- Considering the wellbeing of washroom users and using the WELL v2, Q4 2022 Standard as a guide is a good practice.
Designing a commercial washroom with a hospitality look and feel
1. Choose Elegant Fixtures
Elegant and sophisticated washroom products are an essential element for hotel-style design in a commercial washroom. The washbasin, commercial tap, WC pan, and hand drying appliances should be of high quality and visually appealing. This also applies to end of trip facilities.
Chrome plated and brushed stainless steel finishes are popular choices that add a touch of elegance to any washroom. Adding touchless fixtures, such as sensor taps and WC flush plates, can provide a more hygienic experience while also improving water and energy efficiency, as well as combating legionella.
2. Add Luxurious Touches
To create a hotel-style design in a commercial washroom, it is a fundamental necessity to add luxurious touches that enhance the user experience.
- Consider adding built-in box shelving for shower towels in the end of trip facilities.
- Choose touch free soap dispensers with a sleek and modern appearance that can enhance the overall aesthetics of hotel bathrooms. Touch free soap dispensers can also be easily integrated into existing decor and design schemes.
- Install wall mounted sensor taps as they offer a stylish and functional alternative to traditional surface mounted taps, making them a popular choice for those who value elegance and modern design that also creates a clean and clutter free look. A vanity with a wall mounted tap is also easier to clean because there are no hardware or plumbing fixtures obstructing the surface of the vanity.
- Most hotel washrooms include manual mixer taps because the foot traffic may not be as heavy as in a commercial washroom. Therefore, if you decide to add a manual tap, it would be better suited for smaller commercial washrooms with less foot traffic.
- Install hand dryers that are high speed, low energy, and designed to minimise noise as much as possible. This is particularly crucial in commercial washrooms where users demand a certain level of comfort, sustainable solutions, and efficient hand drying options, especially when in a hurry. Providing these amenities in the workplace environment is essential.
- Adding a touch of greenery, such as pot plants, biophilic design elements, or even wall murals, can elevate the space and make it feel more welcoming. Additionally, incorporating textured walls can evoke a sense of luxury and comfort in a hotel-style design for commercial washrooms.
3. Pay Attention to Lighting
Lighting is an essential element of any washroom design. The lighting should be bright enough for users to see what they are doing, but not so bright that it is harsh and uninviting.
To create a hotel-style design in a commercial washroom, different areas of the washroom should incorporate different lighting levels for optimal functionality. For example, task lighting is necessary around the washstation area for handwashing, while ambient lighting is preferable for the changing stalls in end of trip facilities or even superloos.
Consider making provision for natural lighting (through skylights or windows) or include lighting that imitates natural light so that users can feel more comfortable and relaxed.
4. Use Neutral Colours
Neutral colours inspired by the natural environment are a popular choice for a hotel-style design in a commercial washroom because they are timeless, comforting, and have a positive impact on people’s psychological wellbeing.
Read more about commercial washroom design for wellbeing and wellness.
Consider using earthy tones such as white, light green, beige, grey, ocean blue, or different shades of brown for the walls and floors.
Accents of contrasting colours (such as black, antique bronze, bronze, brass, and gold) with finishes like PPC, PVD, or Ceramic coatings can be added through accessories like taps, hand dryers, soap dispensers, and combination units.
5. Focus on Functionality
While creating a visually appealing hotel-style design in a commercial washroom, the washroom’s functionality should not be overlooked.
The washroom should be easy to navigate, with clear signage and easy to use fixtures, such as automatic flush plates and touch free handwashing appliances. There should also be ample storage for towels and other essentials in the end of journey facilities, and waste bins should be conveniently located.
When users have easy access to a clean and well maintained washroom, with readily available amenities such as soap and towels, they are more likely to feel comfortable and relaxed. This can contribute to a positive impression of the workplace and make users feel that their dignity and privacy have been respected.
The essence of washrooms in hospitality
A well planned and convenient hotel-style design in a commercial washroom will enhance the user experience and ensure that they feel happy and at ease during their time at the office.
While convenience is an important aspect of the washroom experience, it is not necessarily the epitome of it. The hotel experience encompasses a wide range of factors that contribute to user overall satisfaction, such as comfort, cleanliness, wellbeing, amenities, and ambience.
The key to planning a hotel-style design in a commercial washroom is for businesses to strive to provide a well rounded and exceptional experience that meets a variety of user needs and preferences.
Pay attention to washroom design details
A hotel-style design in a commercial washroom requires careful planning and attention to detail. By incorporating the essential elements of elegant fixtures, luxurious touches, appropriate lighting, neutral colours, and functionality, architects can create a space that is both visually appealing and practical.
A well designed commercial washroom enhances the user experience, contributes to a positive impression of the workplace, and ensures that users feel comfortable, relaxed, and more productive during their time at the office.
With the right approach, any commercial setting can have a washroom that mirrors the standards of luxurious hospitality. By incorporating elements of sophistication and comfort, this type of washroom design not only provides a hospitality feel but also offers the benefits, efficiencies, and functionality of a commercial washroom.